April 09, 2014

DIY Bunny Tote Bag

I've had this idea for a bunny tote bag for a long while. I'm thinking it has something to do with me wanting a bunny for a couple of years now, and the fact that I just have not gotten one yet. I have also been eagerly awaiting the wild bunnies around my house to show their little faces, but sadly, I have not seen any so far. Seeing as spring is in full effect (and I guess that I just can't control my bunny fever), I decided to finally make this tote. I am so happy I did, because it's pretty much the perfect accessory for spring! 

Supplies: tote bag, embroidery thread and needle, yarn, pom pom maker, pencil, ruler, scissors, muslin fabric, fusible interfacing, ear template, sewing machine and thread. 
 1. Lay out your tote bag and draw on the bunny face using a pencil and ruler. 2. Use an embroidery needle and embroidery thread to stitch on the bunny face. 3. Flip your tote bag inside out. Cut a piece of fusible interfacing just larger than your embroidered area, and then iron it on. Once the interfacing has cooled, flip the bag right sides out. 4. Use a pom pom maker to make a pom pom for the nose.
5. Sew your pom pom on the bag where you marked your nose placement. 6. Use the ear template to cut 4 pattern pieces from muslin fabric, and 2 from interfacing. Iron on the interfacing to 2 of the muslin ear pieces. Take two ear pieces, one with interfacing and one without, and place them right sides together. Sew the edge at 1/2 inch seam allowance with a sewing machine. Notch and trim the excess seam allowance. Flip right sides out and press flat. Then, press 1/2 inch of the top edge to the inside. Repeat with the other ear. 7. Sew the open edge shut. Create a pleat to form an ear shape, pin, and then sew down the pleat. Repeat with the other ear. 8. Sew one ear on each side of the tote. 
There you have it! This tote bag pretty much takes no time at all to complete! I would say the most time consuming part are the ears. You can also make the bag without them, but to me, a bunny isn't a bunny unless it has big floppy ears!  

xxoo Jené

8 comments:

  1. This is so adorable!! I totally said "aawww" out loud, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie! I'm such a sucker for cutesy things!

      Delete
  2. Lo sigo diciendo, me encanta la idea del bolso, pero la faldaaaaaaaaaaaaaa me puedeee, es divina!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitivamente, quiero hacer ese bolso *-*

    ReplyDelete
  4. rrrro mais comme j'aime ce sac lapin !!!!!!
    merci de cette belle idée ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I love this creation! It is perfect for children, to do something creative with them during easter holidays!
    We spoke about this creation here:
    http://lunadeicreativi.com/blog/lavoretti-per-pasqua-da-fare-con-i-bimbi/
    Thank you for sharing it! A big kiss from Italy! ;-)
    Lory

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is such a creative idea. I ♥ it! pinned too hugs!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...